McAllen ISD continues to take all necessary precautions to protect our students and staff in response to COVID-19 (corona virus). According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, the risk for all Texans remains low.
Based on that fact, all school-sponsored travel in Texas will continue at this time. However, if a parent decides not to have a child travel, the district will honor that decision and the child will not be penalized. Out of an abundance of caution, the district is not encouraging travel outside of Texas at this time.
Our school district continues to work with the Hidalgo County Health and Human Services Department, the Texas Department of State Health Services, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to remain up to date on the corona virus situation.
The corona virus is believed to be spread much in the way the flu and other respiratory viruses are spread. Symptoms can be fever, cough, or difficulty breathing. Health officials are recommending that local communities and schools take the same steps to protect against coronavirus as we take to prevent the spread of everyday illnesses like the common cold or flu:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Cover your mouth and nose with the inside of your elbow when you cough or sneeze.
· As per the CDC, if your child has a fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit, keep your child home until he or she has been fever free for 24 hours without receiving fever reducing medications.
· Get a flu shot.
Updated information from the CDC on corona virus in the United States can be found at: https://www.cdc.gove/
The district will continue monitoring this situation closely. We will continue to provide updates. Thank you for your support.
J.A. Gonzalez, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
McAllen Independent School District
- Lávese las manos con frecuencia con agua y jabón durante al menos 20 segundos. Si no hay agua y jabón disponibles, use un desinfectante para manos con base de alcohol.
- Evite tocarse los ojos, la nariz y la boca con las manos sin lavar.
- Evitar el contacto cercano con personas que están enfermas.
- Cúbrase la boca y la nariz con el interior del codo cuando tosa o estornude.
- Limpie y desinfecte objetos y superficies que se tocan con frecuencia.